The Taradale Mineral Springs Reserve was gazetted in 1888 as part of a larger recreation area encompassing the present recreation reserve, fairy glen and Barkly Park. Such a large area was able to provide facilities for diverse pursuits including promenading, cricket, football, tennis, fishing, shooting, picnics, exploring and nature walks.
Operating now as a quiet recreation space the Mineral Springs Reserve is a vital oasis in the township with a generous number of mature trees for welcome summer shade and beautiful autumn colour. The advanced European plantings in the park have been complemented by native revegetation work along the creek, undertaken by community groups and students from the Taradale Primary School.
The Mineral Springs Reserve has clean and comfortable toilet facilities and a pavilion with two free electric barbeques. Seating is scattered through the park and modern playground equipment has been installed.
Having been moved from the main street some decades ago due to safety concerns, the Taradale War Memorial is now located at the Mineral Springs Reserve. The memorial commemorates the service and sacrifice of veterans who served in WWI, WWII & Vietnam.
Services are held here on Anzac Day and Remembrance Day.
The Taradale mineral spring is accessible by a pump situated adjacent to the creek and visitors are welcome to sample the waters which were analysed in 1927 as being of the following composition:
Situated in the centre of the town the park is traversed by paths which link the space to the Taradale Town Hall and Primary School, the shopping area in the main street, the Fairy glen and Taradale viaduct and the Taradale Recreation Reserve and Max Robinson oval. A footbridge links the reserve either side of Back Creek as the pedestrian path across high street bridge was removed around 1915.
Visitors are invited to park in the dedicated area near the playground equipment and memorial on Jackson Street. There is a larger area for parking motor homes, caravans and trailers on the De La Beche Street side of the park, opposite the Taradale Town Hall.