The Taradale Railway Station is not available for public use and is presently a private residence. Visitors are welcome to view the exterior of the station but are asked to respect the privacy of residents.
Believed to have been erected between October of 1862 and June of 1863, the Taradale Railway Station is built primarily of bluestone and comprises a station building, goods shed, lamp room/toilet block, waiting shelter, picket fencing and three bluestone platforms. The station building has a single storey office and waiting room at one end and a two room residence at the other. Timber additions have been made to the residence and the station verandah has been demolished however it is still a ‘substantially intact example of the first standard station building erected by the Victorian Railways Department (the Carlsruhe style)’
The first Station Master at Taradale was Mr J H Abbott. By 1966 the position of resident Station Master at Taradale had been abolished and responsibility for the Station rested with staff at Malmsbury. In 1976 the Taradale Railway Station was closed.
The railway station, as part of the Melbourne to Murray railway complex is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register and the building is presently held by private lease.